In the early 1920′s, members of the Women’s Club began discussing the need for a city library, and in 1927 specific plans were laid under the direction of Mrs. Harry Ehrsam, club president.
The first step toward raising money for the library came in April 23, 1927, when Tag Day was held. Members of the Women’s Club sold tags to raise funds for the library. This first drive raised $112 and was the beginning of the library fund. Additional money was raised through food sales, food concessions at the annual Old Settlers’ Picnic, the sponsoring of concerts and picture shows, and by a Silver Tea given on the 25th anniversary of the Women’s Club.
When the library first opened its doors in 1928, it was located in the Enterprise State Bank building on Main Street opposite the post office. Funds for shelving, book cases, tables and chairs were contributed by townspeople and additional items were purchased as required from the library fund. The first librarian was Bessie Gish. In the beginning the library was open twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, both afternoon and evening. Most of the 850 volumes on the shelves when the library opened had been donated. In addition there were 200 books provided by the Kansas Traveling Library which were exchanged every three months.
On the magazine rack when the library opened were ten periodicals that were very popular at the time: Open Road, American Boy, St. Nicholas, Review of Reviews, Forum, Mentor, Popular Mechanics, The American, and The Saturday Evening Post.
At the time of the library’s establishment, a Board and a Book Committee were appointed. The president of the Women’s Club was the chairman of that Board, which met the first Monday afternoon of the month.
In 1930, the library was moved to a building on First Street owned by the Dickinson County Bank.
In 1938, the Women’s Club voted to place a book in the library in memory of a member’s passing, rather than giving flowers. This plan of giving a book in memory of loved ones met with such hearty approval from firms, organizations and friends that a Memorial Shelf was filled with several hundred very fine volumes which were dedicated to the memory of departed loved ones.
Miss Gish served as librarian for five years and was succeeded by Mrs. Marguerite Clark. In 1933 Mrs. Clark was given a leave of absence and Miss Edna Waterstradt was appointed Librarian. She served until 1942 when Mrs. Claudia Pontius succeeded her for two years. Miss Dorothy Ann Meyer and Mrs. Thelma Monrow followed Mrs. Pontius for short periods of time. Ellen Peterson became librarian in 1945.